Portuguese Sweet Bread
This bread is delicious any time of day. With your morning coffee or with your stews and soups. Cover it, Keep it out of drafts, and let it rise!
- 6 eggs, room temp.
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 2 pkgs. yeast dissolved in warm water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. shortening
- 2 lbs. flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup evaporated milk combined with 1 cup water
Measure all ingredients.
Mix flour, salt, butter and shortening.
Gradually add milk combined with water.
Mix, knead and form into loaves, and let rise.
Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour.
1. To make sure yeast is good, add 1 tsp. of sugar to yeast and water mixture. If the yeast doubles in size, your yeast is good.
2. Make sure you leave enough room in the pan for dough to rise, otherwise it will spill over into your oven. I kind of eye ball the amount of dough in each pan, because it will double in size. I also place a cookie sheet under my loaf pans just in case of spillage.
3. To get the nice brown color on your baked bread, brush egg whites on the dough just prior to baking.