Tod Mun Pla (Thai Fish Cakes) With Cucumber Dipping Sauce
The first time I had this dish was at a dinner at my sister’s home. We enjoyed a take-out meal from our neighborhood Thai Restaurants. She said it was a favorite of theirs and it quickly became one of mine as well. So much so, that I had to try to create this Tod Mun Pla (Thai Fish Cakes) the very next night!
Yield: 4 Servings.
- 1 lb. fish cake
- 2 TB Thai red curry paste
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c. string beans, thinly sliced, diagonally
- 1 Thai bird chili, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 stalks lemon grass, ends, finely minced
- 1 TB cilantro stem, chopped
- 1 TB cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 TB patis (fish sauce)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 Japanese cucumber (seedless), thinly sliced, cilantro
Cucumber Dipping Sauce:
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. white vinegar
- 3 TB sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Thai bird chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Japanese cucumber (seedless), thinly sliced
In a saucepan over medium high heat; bring water to a boil.
Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, sugar and salt; stirring until the sugar dissolves.
Add chili pepper.
Makes 1 ½ cups.
In a mixing bowl; combine curry paste and egg.
Stir in fishcake; mix well. Add remaining ingredients.
Form into desired size patties (about 2-3 inches).
In a skillet over medium heat; fry in oil until golden brown on both sides.
Drain on paper towels.
How To Serve:
For service: Arrange sliced cucumbers around edge of serving platter.
Transfer patties onto platter, garnish with cilantro.
Serve with Cucumber Dipping Sauce or favorite dipping sauce.
Optional to drop by heaping tablespoonful for pupu size cakes.