The first time I had this dish was at a dinner at my sister’s home. We enjoyed a take-out meal from our neighborhood Thai Restaurants. She said it was a favorite of theirs and it quickly became one of mine as well. So much so, that I had to try to create this Tod Mun Pla (Thai Fish Cakes) the very next night!
Tod Mun Pla (Thai Fish Cakes) With Cucumber Dipping Sauce
- 1 lb. fish cake
- 2 TB Thai red curry paste
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c. string beans, thinly sliced, diagonally
- 1 Thai bird chili, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 stalks lemon grass, ends, finely minced
- 1 TB cilantro stem, chopped
- 1 TB cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 TB patis (fish sauce)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 Japanese cucumber (seedless), thinly sliced, cilantro
Cucumber Dipping Sauce:
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. white vinegar
- 3 TB sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Thai bird chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Japanese cucumber (seedless), thinly sliced
- In a saucepan over medium high heat; bring water to a boil.
- Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, sugar and salt; stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Add chili pepper.
- Add cucumbers.
- Makes 1 ½ cups.
- In a mixing bowl; combine curry paste and egg.
- Stir in fishcake; mix well. Add remaining ingredients.
- Form into desired size patties (about 2-3 inches).
- In a skillet over medium heat; fry in oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
How To Serve:
- For service: Arrange sliced cucumbers around edge of serving platter.
- Transfer patties onto platter, garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with Cucumber Dipping Sauce or favorite dipping sauce.
- Optional to drop by heaping tablespoonful for pupu size cakes.
- Serves 4.