Rate This Recipe:
Buttermilk Scallion Flatbread Recipe
Sometimes you need some kind of bread or starch for a meal, but you don’t have anything at home, and you don’t feel like making a trip to the grocery store. This simple flatbread is easy to throw together. Recipe courtesy of Lori Ikeda of www.guavarose.com. Visit her site for more ono recipes!
- 1 cup all purpose, unbleached flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 + 1-1/2 T. olive oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- Whisk together flours, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Add 3T. oil, buttermilk, and water and blend until smooth. Mix in scallions.
- Cover the bowl loosely with a towel, plate or plastic wrap. Let rest for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet with the remaining oil. Scoop dough onto baking sheet and spread out evenly to the pan edges with a rubber spatula that has been moistened with water.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until barely done, then change oven to low broil setting. Move pan to the upper oven rack and broil the top 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn. The pan may need to be rotated around for even browning.
- Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut into 16 rectangular pieces (4 rows x 4 rows).
- Place 2 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice into a measuring cup. Add milk until it reaches ¾ cup. Let sit ~5 minutes until it thickens.
Calories: 89kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 2gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 201mgPotassium: 38mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 39IUVitamin B1: 0.1mgVitamin B5: 0.1mgVitamin C: 0.4mgCalcium: 65mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!