Chef Adam Taburas Tako Popcorn
Cooking Hawaiian Style's very own Chef Adam Tabura joins us with more amazing recipes including this easy-to-make tako (octopus) popcorn with a kim chee aioli. Chef Tabura continues to amaze me with his culinary creations.
- 2 lbs. fresh Octopus (tako/he’e), cleaned and chopped thin
- 4 cups flour, for dusting
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup lechon spice, (the spice rack)
- 6-7 cups canola oil (for deep frying)
Kim Chee Aioli
- ½ cup kim chee, squeezed dry
- ½ tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon calamansi or lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped fine
Mix flour, salt, pepper and lechon spice well. This is your breading for tako.
Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan.
Place flour in brown paper bag along with small amount of chopped tako.
Close bag and shake until tako is covered in seasoned flour.
Remove tako from bag leaving excess flour in bag. ( I use a screened bowl to shake excess flour off).
Once oil is around 350 degrees, place breaded tako in oil and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
Calories: 14721kcalCarbohydrates: 420gProtein: 188gFat: 1383gSaturated Fat: 106gCholesterol: 453mgSodium: 2933mgPotassium: 3710mgFiber: 14gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 1608IUVitamin C: 55mgCalcium: 556mgIron: 71mg