This coconut ginger cake has sugar and spice, and everything nice.. a simple yet comforting cake with hints of caramel and coconut!
Coconut Ginger Cake w/Coconut Caramel Icing
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup self rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
Coconut Caramel Icing:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Pre-heat oven to 35.
- Grease and flour a 10" bundt cake pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add butter, eggs, buttermilk and coconut milk and blend with electric mixer. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet mixture and mix on low speed until items are incorporated, then mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until smooth. fold coconut and nuts into batter.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 35 minutes.
- Test with toothpick to ensure that cake is fully cooked.
- Cool for 15 minutes and slowly remove from pan and allow to cool completely before glazing.
Coconut Caramel Icing
- Put butter, light brown sugar, and coconut milk, coconut extract in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Turn heat up and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Drizzle over cake.