Our favorite Bento-Style meal usually always has a little side dish of Japanese Pickled Vegetables. Most times, just a teaser of a taste, leaving you wanting for more.
Often made with just one vegetable, I’ve combined my three favorite into this one recipe. It is a simple recipe with lots of flavor.
Easy Namasu (Japanese Pickled Vegetables)
- 1 Japanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, thinly sliced, slivers
- 1 daikon (turnip), thinly sliced, slivers
- 1 TB Hawaiian salt
- Water as needed
- 1 inch ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- In a saucepan over medium heat; warm vinegar.
- Remove from heat; stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl; toss together cucumber, carrot, daikon and salt.
- Allow to sit 15 minutes.
- Rinse and drain well.
- Squeeze all remaining water.
- Return to mixing bowl; toss with ginger and vinegar mixture.
How To Serve:
- Refrigerate for service.
- Makes approximately 3 ½ cups.