This version made popular by the very common Pan Layered Sushi, but with the familiar flavors of our favorite sushi bar California Roll.
Layered California Sushi
- 5 c. cooked rice
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dashinomoto (Japanese soup stock seasoning)
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 – 2 firm ripe avocados, sliced or diced
- 8 oz. imitation crab, shredded
- Nori (roasted seaweed) sheets
- 1 (1.7 oz.) bottle nori furikake (rice seasoning)
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with double waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- Have a 2nd 9×13-inch pan ready for assembling sushi.
- In a saucepan over medium heat; combine sugar, vinegar, salt and dashi no moto.
- Cook until sugar has dissolved completely.
- Remove from heat and reserve.
- When rice is cooked; stir in vinegar mixture.
- Line prepared pan with nori sheets.
- Spread half of rice mixture evenly in prepared pan.
- Spread mayonnaise on rice.
- Top with avocado and crab.
- Cover with remaining rice mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Completely wet the bottom side of your 2nd pan and press down onto top layer of rice.
- Invert and invert again, so that the nori side is down.
- Sprinkle furikake onto rice.
How To Serve:
- For service: when rice is cooled, invert pan onto a tray.
- Remove waxed paper and sprinkle with furikake nori.
- Cut into serving pieces.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Makes 12 to 18 servings.