This is a delicious, easy and very healthy soup. Made with good chicken broth it’s homey and soothing. The shiitake mushrooms and ginger add a little zing and variety and the vegetables add color and flavor.
This soup makes a delicious one-pot dinner. Leftovers are also wonderful for a quick lunch and you can add a scrambled egg (stirred into the hot soup) for breakfast. So I’d recommend doubling the recipe.
For more delicious recipes please go to to www.preheatto350.com
Rate This Recipe:
Shiitake, Bok Choy and Ginger Chicken Soup – Low Carb, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- 6 ounces fresh dried shiitake mushrooms or 1 1/2 ounces
- 8 cups homemade chicken broth or good quality store-bought broth
- 3 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger minced (no need to peel, just cut off really rough areas and knobs)
- 3 medium carrots sliced into matchsticks (no need to peel)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce*
- 1 tablespoon Aloha shoyu or tamari sauce for gluten free
- 1/8 teaspoon chili oil * or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil *
- 3 cups thinly sliced bok choy (greens plus some of the tender stem)
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar *
- 2 green onions sliced thin (optional)
- For fresh shiitakes: remove stems and slice caps. For dried shiitakes: cover with boiling water and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain. Slice, if they don’t already come sliced. Set aside.
- Bring broth, whole chicken breasts and ginger to boil in a large pot. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken breasts to a plate and shred or chop when cool enough to handle. Return chicken to the pot. Add carrots, sliced shiitakes, fish sauce, soy or tamari sauce, chili oil, and sesame oil and simmer until carrots are tender. Add bok choy and simmer until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice vinegar, ladle into bowls, and serve sprinkled with green onions.