This is a nice hearty bread pudding made using dried out King’s Hawaiian bread, pumpkin and coconut milk. Bread pudding “Hawaiian Style”.
Coconut Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs plus
- 1 yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 5 cups 1" cubed King's Hawaiian Bread
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together cream, pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, yolk, salt, and spices in a bowl.
- If you have enough time, cut bread into 1" cubes and set out overnight to dry out. If not, you can place bread cube on a cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes in a warm oven – enough to dry out the bread.
- Toss bread cubes with melted butter in another bowl.
- Transfer coated bread cubes to an 8" x 8" pan. Slowly add pumpkin mixture to baking pan and toss to coat.
- Top with chopped pecans and Bake until custard is set, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cut into pieces or scoop into mini dishes and top with whipped cream or ice cream!