This is my quick and easy version of Sheppards pie – its basically an easy meatloaf recipe with creamy mashed potatoes on the top. The potatoes are nice and creamy with a crispy crust – classic comfort food!
Easy Meatloaf Mashed Potato Casserole
- 1.5 – 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 packet lipton onion soup mix (dry mix)
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 russett potatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional) *defrost peas
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup cream (to your preference)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes with just enough water to cover.
- Once cooked, skin potatoes and mash in a bowl. Add butter, cream, salt and pepper.
- You can adjust the amount of milk to achieve consistency to your preference. Just ensure that the potatoes aren't runny.
- In bowl, mix ground beef, onion soup mix, peas (optional) and eggs. Mix well and flatten into a 8×6" or 8" x 8" pan. For best results, use a ceramic pan.
- Layer mashed potatoes over meatloaf mixture and cook at 350 for 1 hour.