Kanten is a Japanese gelatin dessert, traditionally made from agar agar. Gelatin works just fine and the outcome is identical. I was first served this Guava Jello Kanten version at a Hawaiian luau. The addition of the Guava juice went well with the theme of the menu.
Guava Jello Kanten
- 1 (6 oz.) box orange jello
- 4 ( .25oz.) env. unflavored gelatin
- 1 c. sugar
- 3 c. boiling water
- 1 c. cold water
- 1 (12 oz.) can frozen guava or passion fruit nectar, thawed
- In a mixing bowl; combine jello, unflavored gelatin and sugar.
- Blend well until no lumps remain.
- Add boiling water and mix well In a separate bowl; combine cold water and guava nectar; stirring to blend well.
- Stir in gelatin mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer into 9×13-inch pan. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
How To Serve:
- For service: Cut into desired shapes.
- Serves 10-12.