Kanten is a Japanese gelatin dessert, traditionally made from agar agar. Gelatin works just fine and the outcome is identical. A great variation of the standard plain kanten, the orange wedges and sherbet make this a very popular recipe.
Orange Jello Kanten
- 2 (.25 oz.) pkts. unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges
- Syrup from mandarin oranges
- 2 c. boiling water
- 3 TB sugar
- 2 (3 o.) pkg. orange jello
- 1 pint orange sherbet
- In a small mixing bowl; dissolve gelatin in ¼ cup of water. Reserve.
- In a mixing bowl; combine boiling water with sugar, orange jello and syrup from mandarin oranges.
- Stir in gelatin mixture. Stir in sherbet; stirring until completely melted.
- Add oranges.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
How To Serve:
- If using a mold, for service: unmold just before serving.
- Serves 10-12.