My god-daughters grandmother shared this recipe with me. I have seen many variations, but I like this one for its simplicity of making it in one pan. Other variations I have seen are found at our farmers markets, where you can purchase individual wrapped treats the size of a small banana.
Sweet delicate glutinous rice with a hint of coconut. I have made this recipe using ti-leaves instead of the banana leaves, but I do believe the banana leaves add a unique flavor to the dish.
KANKANEN SUMAN – SWEET MOCHI RICE
- Banana leaves
- 5 c. mochi (glutinous) rice
- 5 c. water
- 1 (12 oz.) can frozen coconut milk, thawed
- 1 (16 oz.) box light brown sugar
- 1 c. shredded coconut, optional
- Wash rice; cook in rice cooker as directed.
- Wilt banana leaves in boiling water; line a 13×9-inch pan with leaves.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan over low heat, warm milk slowly until separated.
- Add sugar; bring to a boil.
- Reserve ¼ cup of mixture; mix remaining mixture into rice.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan; spread evenly into pan.
- With a spatula; spread reserved sugar mixture over top.
- Cover with aluminum foil; bake 40 minutes.
- Optional to add shredded coconut into the rice mixture.
How To Serve:
- For service: Cool before cutting with plastic knife.
- Serves 12.