I have had a similar treat like this at a Chinese Restaurant, but the filling was not a combination of coconut and peanuts, rather, you had a choice of either. The restaurant however, did coat their mochi balls in sesame seeds.
I don’t really know the origin of this recipe, be it Chinese or Filipino ?? I added the sesame seeds to the original recipe, shared with me by a Filipino co-worker friend of mine. She loved to bring treats for us, often after having her family over for a gathering.
Rate This Recipe:
FRIED MOCHI SURPRISE
- 1/2 c. coconut, shredded
- 1/2 c. roasted peanuts, chopped
- 3 TB sugar
- 1 c. water
- 1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 (16 oz). box mochiko (sweet glutinous rice flour)
- 1 tsp. dry sherry
- 1/4 c. sesame seeds, toasted
- In a mixing bowl, combine coconut, peanuts and sugar; set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water to a boil; stir in brown sugar; stirring until dissolved.
- Remove from heat; stir in mochiko and sherry.
- Turn dough onto work surface and flatten to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut into 24 pieces.
- Place 1 tablespoonful of coconut mixture into center of pieces, pinching edges to seal.
- Roll in sesame seeds.
- Deep fry until golden; drain on paper towels.
How To Serve:
- Optional to steam or cook in boiling water.
- Makes 24.