In 2013 Former biotech entrepreneur, Dr. Gunars Valkirs started the Maui Ku’ia Estate Cacao Farm in Kuʻia, Maui by combining his family history of farming with his obsession for outstanding chocolate.
Today he has more than 8,000 trees spread across twenty-plus acres, within plans to expand to more than sixty within the next few years. The farm provides the raw material for his world-class chocolate, which is produced at the state of the art Lāhaina factory, the largest in Hawai’i.
Dr. Valkirs says it is his privilege to be able to give back to the community in which the delicious chocolate is made, by donating 100 percent of the net profits to Maui charities and non-profit community organizations. He calls it Chocolate Kuleana.
CALAMANSI CHOCOLATE MARGARITA by Gunars Valkirs of Maui Ku’ia Estate Cacao Farm
- 6 oz. Almond milk
- 2 oz. Maui Ku‘ia Estate Dark Chocolate (65% cacao)
- 1-2 oz. Fresh Calamansi juice
- 2 oz. Tequila (optional – blanco preferred)
- Heat the almond milk up in a small saucepan using medium heat while stirring frequently but no hotter than when it first starts to form bubbles. For those who like to use thermometers that is about 80° C (176° F)
- Add the chocolate all at once and mix thoroughly until melted. Use a whisk, if you have one, for best incorporation of chocolate. While stirring frequently, bring the liquid back up to the temperature where is just starts to bubble, remove from heat, and cool slightly before placing it in a closed container for storage in a refrigerator. This mixture can be refrigerated for up to one week.
- After the chocolate mixture is cold, add 1-2 oz of freshly squeezed Calamansi juice (according to your taste) and stir to mix, add 2 oz of tequila blanco (silver), mix thoroughly and serve. More or less tequila can be used.