This delicious recipe for halibut tempura and cucumber salad was provided compliments of world famous Chef Chai of Chai’s Island Bistro, Dining Out with Chai & Singha Thai Restaurant.
Halibut Tempura with Cucumber Salad
- 12 oz of fresh Halibut filet, cut to a 2 oz portion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 strips of Nori (half inch wide and about 3 inches long)
- 6 slices red jalapeño pepper
- 6 stems Chinese parsley about 2 inches long
- 2 c. tempura batter
- 2 c. cucumber salad
- 1/2 c. ponzu sauce
- Vegetable oil for deep frying the fish
- 1/2 lb of cucumber, slices
- 1 oz. of assorted color of bell pepper, slices
- 1 tbsp Chinese parsley, chopped
- 1 clove of shallot, slices
- 1 1/2 tbsp of white vinegar
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of water
- dash of chili sauce or tabasco
- pinch of salt
- Make sure to dry the fish really well, and season with salt and pepper.
- Plate one piece of jalapeno pepper ad Chinese parsley n the fish and secure it by wrappping around with Nori (like sushi style) set aside.
- Make the tempura batter by adding the water to the tempura flour (Follow the box instructions) and keep cold (Save some flour for dusting the fish).
- In a deep fryer or pan preheat the oil to about 375 F, dust the fish with flour and dip in the batter, gently drop in the oil and cook until the batter turns golden brown, remove from oil. Set aside on a paper towel to absorb the oil.
- In a pot add sugar, vinegar, water, salt and chili sauce and bring to a boil then let it cool down. (you can make this ahead of time and refrigerate). In a bowl combine sliced cucumber, shallot, bell pepper, and Chinese parsley and chill in the refrigerator.
- Combine with the sauce right before you serve.
- To avoid the cucumber from getting soggy, do not add the dressing to the cucumber until you are ready to serve.
- Chilled ingredients can help to make the cucumber salad crunchier.
How To Serve:
- Serve with cucumber salad and Ponzu sauce as a dipping sauce.