On the occasion of tomorrow’s Japanese Doll Festival Hina Matsuri I’ve found a great recipe by Cookpad for a Hishi Mochi Cheesecake. It is very simple to make and the best is, that you may not need to bake this cake.
The red layer contains strawberries, the white layer is cream cheese and the green layer contains matcha. The different flavors harmonize very well together.
Hishi mochi is actually a diamond-shaped rice cake which consists of a red, white and green layer and is completely made of mochi. This rice cake is usually presented with “Hina Ningy?”.
Of course, the three colors has also a symbolic significance. So the green layer stands for the following spring, the white layer for the cleansing effects of snow and the pink layer stands for plum blossoms.
Recipe Courtesy of Mokiko of http://bohnenhase.blogspot.com/ – Please visit for more recipes!
Hishi Mochi Rare Cheesecake
- 3 ounces biscuits or cookies, crumbled
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 7 ounces cream cheese
- 2/3 cup cream
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 9 g (2 teaspoons) gelatin powder
- 4 tbsp water
- 1-2 tsp matcha
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- Put the cookies in a plastic bag and crush until fine. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add to the cookie crumbs. Mix well by hand. Put crumb mixture into a plastic wrap prepared mold. Let rest in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Mix the gelatin powder with the water in a small bowl and let swell for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime stir the cream cheese with yogurt and sugar until smooth. Whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff. Then fold the whipped cream carefully into the cream cheese mixture.
- Now heat the gelatin for 10-20 seconds in the microwave until it turns to liquid and stir into the cream cheese mixture. Divide the cream cheese mixture into three equal portions.
- Stir matcha powder into the first portion of cream cheese and mix well. Spread the green cream cheese mixture onto the biscuit base and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Spread the white cream cheese mixture on the green layer and place for another in refrigerator for another 15 minutes..
- For the pink cream cheese layer, puree the strawberries in a blender until fine and mix into the remaining cream cheese. Spread the mixture on the white layer and let rest for at least two hours in the refrigerator until firm.
- Lift the finished cheesecake carefully out of the mold and cut into desired pieces and serve