This amazing cake consists of: 20 layers of Light, moist and fluffy mochi crepes stacked with a coconut whipped pastry cream and topped with a guava strawberry sauce.
Layered Mochi Crepe Cake w/Guava Strawberry Glaze
Coconut Whipped Cream Pastry Cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar divided
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 + 3 tablespoons + 3 cups heavy cream whipped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mochiko (sweet rice flour)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups milk butter or cooking spray for coating the pan
Guava Strawberry Sauce
- 14 ounces fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 6 ounces frozen guava concentrate
- 8-12 extra strawberries for garnish
- granulated sugar as needed to adjust sweetness
- pinch salt
- In a small bowl beat together eggs, flour, cornstarch and 4 tbsp sugar until smooth.
- In a saucepan bring milk to a simmer (almost boiling).
- Remove from heat and whisk milk into egg mixture.
- Returning the mixture to the saucepan, cook for 5 minutes under constant stirring until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Set aside to cool. Once cooled, whip heavy cream and coconut milk and fold in cooled mixture.
- Refrigerate mixture until it thickens, preferably overnight.
- Mix the flours, sugar, eggs and salt in a blender until the mixture is smooth, but do not over-mix.
- Add the milk 1/3 cup at a time, until the batter is a liquid consistency.
- Melt butter in a crêpe pan or large skillet over low-medium heat.
- Add batter to the pan to fill the entire pan with a thin layer and swirl until the pan is covered with batter.
- Cook the crêpe for 1 minute, or until the crêpe is slightly moist on top and golden underneath.
- Loosen the edges of the crêpe, slide the spatula under it, and then gently flip it upside down into the pan.
- Cook for 1 minute and transfer the cooked crêpe to a plate to keep warm.
Guava Strawberry Sauce
- If using frozen strawberries, place them in a large bowl to thaw – may take a few hours.
- Place strawberries and frozen guava juice concentrate in food processor or blender.
- Process until they are fruit is pureed. Pour sauce in 2 cup measuring glass.
- You should have about 1¼ cups sauce.
- Taste for sweetness. If you like it sweeter add more sugar to taste.
- Add pinch of salt.
- Take pastry crème out of the refrigerator and whip 4 cups of heavy cream with 2 tbsp sugar.
- Carefully fold whipped cream into pastry crème. Using a cake board or round cake plate as a guide trim crepes with a sharp knife.
- Place first crepe on a serving plate and spread 1/4-1/2 cup of pastry crème filling on top with a spatula or wide bladed knife.
- Cover with another crepe and spread on pastry crème filling. Repeat for 20 crepe layers.
- Now spread the pastry crème over the top and the sides of the crepe cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, cut the cake into slices. Drizzle guava strawberry sauce onto cake.