Chef Adam Roman of the Four Seasons Resort Lanai join us on Cooking Hawaiian Style to make his own take on a dungeness crab cake served over a bed of fresh corn relish and a spicy ginger aioli. Be sure to catch Adam’s episode on OC16.
Chef Adam Romans Dungeness Crab Cakes with Corn Relish and Spicy Ginger Aioli
- 12 oz. Dungeness Crab Meat
- 2 oz. Mayonnaise
- 1 oz. Dijon Mustard
- Old bay Seasoning to taste
- .5 ea. Lemon Zest
- 6 oz. Panko Bread Crumbs
- 4 oz. Unsalted Butter
- 1 oz. Olive Oil
- 6 oz. Kahuku corn kernels
- 2 oz. shiitake mushrooms diced
- 4 oz. red peppers diced
- 1 ea. shallots diced
- 1 ea. garlic clove
- 1 oz. olive Oil
- .5 teaspoons chopped parsley
- salt and black pepper to taste
Spicy Ginger, Aioli:
- 4 oz. mayonnaise
- .25 oz. sriracha sauce
- .25 oz. pickled Ginger
- In a perforated pan or colander gently squeeze and drain any excess water from crab meat.
- Place already drained crab meat into a mixing bowl and combine gently with mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon zest.
- Sprinkle a couple pinches worth of seasoning in beginning once all ingredients incorporated check if any additional seasoning is needed (this changes with how crab is packaged with salt content).
- Depending on how much moisture is left in crab a couple of pinches of panko may be needed to get a good texture for molding crab cake, it should be soft enough to barely hold its own shape when placed in a ball.
- Using a 2oz scooper portion individual crab balls and place in a pan with the remaining panko, coat the balls evenly and begin to form gently pressing cake in to shape with both hands repeat process until all cakes are formed (hint leave cakes inside of pan with panko to save bottoms from becoming soggy).
- Save in refrigerator for later use. Preheat oven to 350F and begin cooking relish.
- Once Relish has been sautéed and is cooling, in a medium sized non-stick sauté pan that is on medium-high heat add olive oil once oil begins to have streaks (not smoking) place crab cakes and allow cake to sear for about a minute or until bottom edges appear golden brown.
- Flip Crab cakes gently using a spatula, place in oven and let cook for approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add butter while pan is hot to baste over cakes. Once this is done place on clean paper towels to drain any excess oil and butter.
- Place a bed of Relish on 3 plates evenly and top with 2 crab cakes each.
- Top each crab cake with a dollop of aioli.
- In a sauté pan on medium heat with olive oil sauté corn for about a minute, then add red peppers and continue to sauté until corn begins to get tender about 2-3 minutes, add mushrooms, shallots, and garlic and sauté until shallots become translucent.
- Season with Salt and Pepper TT and fold in chopped parsley.
- Allow relish to come to room temperature. Cook crab cakes while allowing relish to rest.
- Place mayonnaise and sriracha in a mixing bowl and mix to combine evenly, take pickled ginger and mince, fold into the sauce.
- Save this sauce in refrigerator for later use.