Mashed potato salad? This is a recipe that I somehow came up with years ago. I’m not even sure how it came about. My best guess is that I probably had a version of this potato salad at a Japanese restaurant. This is my interpretation…I call it the lazy man’s potato salad.
Rate This Recipe:
Mashed Potato Salad
Mashed potato salad often found on hawaiian plate lunches and pot lucks at local gatherings.
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 10 eggs
- 1 large carrot
- 1 tsp finely minced onion
- 1.5 c. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Imitaton Crab Meat (optional)
- Put potatoes and eggs in a large pot, fill with water and boil for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Eggs can be removed 20-30 minutes after water starts boiling.
- Chop onions until very fine or liquify in food processor (set aside).
- Grate Carrot into bowl of water. Drain water squeeze excess carrot juice out of carrots (to prevent the orange juices to leak into the salad).
- Set aside.
- Peel Eggs and grate into a large mixing bowl.
- Peel Potatoes and place into large mixing bowl.
- Add Onions, Carrots, Salt, Pepper.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes.
- Add Mayonnaisse and mix thoroughly.
- Mix in crabmeat and any other garnish that you enjoy ie. cucumbers, olives, pickles etc…. I like mine simple.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving.
How To Serve:
- Serve chilled. Top with green onions if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!