This is a classic Hawaii favorite originated by Ted’s Bakery on the north shore. I’ve made a few adjustments through the years and this is my version.
Rate This Recipe:
Mom’s Chocolate Haupia Pie
This is a classic Hawaii favorite originated by Ted's Bakery on the north shore. I've made a few adjustments through the years and this is my version.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 7/8 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup white sugar
Macadamia Nut Shortbread Crust
- 1 cup Island Princess Hawaii unsalted macadamia nuts
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons rice flour
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter , cut into 1/4" cubes
- 2 Tablespoons cold milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, coat pie pan with cooking spray.
- Place toasted nuts in food processor, add dry ingredients. Pulse until a fine meal is achieved.
- Add cold butter a little at a time and pulse.
- Add milk and vanilla, pulse again. Crust will slowly form.
- Press mixture into pie pan, bake for 25-35 minutes.
- In medium pan, add coconut milk, heavy whipping cream, sugar and whisk.
- In separate bowl, whisk cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Turn burner on medium and stir the milk mixture constantly. Once it comes to a boil, turn heat down to a simmer and SLOWLY add cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly for three minutes until mixture thickens.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate in microwave for 1 minute, stir, then repeat until completely melted (2-3 minutes).
- Separate the coconut pudding mixture into two equal portions.
- Add melted chocolate to one of the puddings and stir until entirely mixed.
- Pour coconut pudding over the pie crust. Let the chocolate pudding cool for 5-10 minutes, then pour over the coconut pudding.
- Refrigerate for two hours, garnish.
Calories: 6228kcalCarbohydrates: 647gProtein: 52gFat: 396gSaturated Fat: 196gPolyunsaturated Fat: 13gMonounsaturated Fat: 161gTrans Fat: 4gCholesterol: 767mgSodium: 2651mgPotassium: 2276mgFiber: 29gSugar: 423gVitamin A: 8569IUVitamin B1: 3mgVitamin B5: 4mgVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 855mgIron: 22mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!