I was given this recipe over 30 years ago by a good friend.
Over the years I have found a way to make it my own by adding half the sauce to the banana mixture, instead of just pouring the sauce over the banana mixture. It’s a winner!
Rate This Recipe:
I was given this recipe over 30 years ago by a good friend.Over the years I have found a way to make it my own by adding half the sauce to the banana mixture, instead of just pouring the sauce over the banana mixture. It's a winner!
- 3 lbs. pork butt, cut in cubes, include fat.
- 4 small cans tomato sauce
- 9 medium cloves garlic, crushed or chopped fine
- 3 Hawaiian chili peppers
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 2 bunches Chinese parsley, chopped
- 2 cans pitted ripe olives
- 3 tsp. salt (add to grated green banana)
- 3/4 cup Wesson Oil ( add to grated green banana)
- 2 large hands green Chinese or Williams banana
- Cook pork with garlic for a few minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, peppers, onions and all other ingredients.
- Add salt.
- Cook over low heat till meat is tender (taste seasoning).
- Bananas: Peel and grate bananas.
- Add oil and salt into green bananas.
- I use a food processor to grate the bananas.
- Here is where I mix half the sauce into the green bananas. Save the remaining sauce to spoon over the banana mixture after laying it on ti leaf or heavy duty foil.
- Spread 1/4 inch thick on ti leaf or heavy duty foil. Add 3 olives on to banana mixture, then spoon a couple of Tbs. of sauce.
- If using ti leaf, you will have to clean and remove thick rib in center of ti leaf, making sure not to puncture leaf. Roll ti leaf around banana mixture then tie with string. If using foil, fold sides and ends together. Steam for 1-1/2 hours.
- Makes about 20 pastelles.
Calories: 247kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 14gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 977mgPotassium: 410mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 926IUVitamin B1: 1mgVitamin B5: 1mgVitamin C: 19mgCalcium: 46mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
How much of each?
Ingredients updated, Thanks