One of my Curves members shared this recipe. I have made this delicious meal a couple of times since. It is a meal in itself. It’s funny, I have never eaten Kabocha before. Once I tasted this dish, I was sold! For any type of gathering, being it friends or family, it makes a delicious, pretty center piece.
Rate This Recipe:
One of my Curves members shared this recipe. I have made this delicious meal a couple of times since. It is a meal in itself. It's funny, I have never eaten Kabocha before. Once I tasted this dish, I was sold! For any type of gathering, being it friends or family, it makes a delicious, pretty center piece.
- 1 Whole Kabocha (pumpkin)
- (for small kabocha) 1/2 cup regular rice and 1/2 cup mochi rice (mochi rice is optional)
- ground beef, turkey, or pork etc. may be used in small amount or it could be optional.
- fresh shrimp, cleaned, and chopped (optional)
- Ebi, soaked and chopped
- Shiitake mushrooms, soaked and chopped
- Bamboo, chopped
- Water chestnuts, minced
- Round onion, dice
- Green onion, (optional)
- Wash and dry kabocha thoroughly.
- Cut a "cap" from the top (just like when carving pumpkin for Halloween).
- Tip: to take off the top of the kabocha easier, microwave for a couple of minutes.
- Clean out the seeds and fiber in the pumpkin.
- Rub olive oil outside and inside of pumpkin.
- Sprinkle some Hawaiian salt inside for flavor.
- Cook one cup of rice in cooker.
- Fry the above ingredients and then add the rice.
- Line a pan with foil.
- Stuff the pumpkin with the fried rice.
- Cover with the kabocha cap.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Take pumpkin out of oven.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Cover pumpkin with foil, return to pan, and bake for about 1-1/2 hours or more. To check if done, use a knife or skewer. If it goes through easily, it is cooked.
- Turn oven off and keep foil on and leave kabocha in oven for another 30 minutes.
- This is optional because the kabocha will continue cooking.
How To Serve:
- Carefully place kabocha in a serving dish and remove cap.
- Slice kabocha from the top to bottom.
- Should resemble a flower in bloom with rice in the center.
- You may use whatever ingredients you want to add to the rice. Or make your favorite fried rice dish.
- The time for each step is dependent on the size of the kabocha so adjust as you go along.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
New to kabocha. Please post suggested amounts for: meat, raw shrimp, ebi, mushrooms, water chestnuts, bamboo, onions. Will be helpful for shopping and first attempt. We can then adjust to taste. Thank you!