Portuguese sweet bread is delicious any time of day. With your morning coffee or with your stews and soups. The first time I ever made this bread, it was a disaster! I was newly married and wanted to impress my husband. I impressed him alright!
My bread wouldn’t rise but I still baked it in a round pie pan. It came out like a Frisbee, flat and hard! My husband not wanting to hurt my feelings said it was good and finished the bread in a few days. He dunked it in his morning coffee which made it nice and soft.
I have since perfected bread making! Cover it, Keep it out of drafts, and let it rise!
Portuguese Sweet Bread
- 6 eggs, room temp.
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 2 pkgs. yeast dissolved in warm water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. shortening
- 2 lbs. flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup evaporated milk combined with 1 cup water
- Measure all ingredients.
- Mix flour, salt, butter and shortening.
- Add sugar.
- Add eggs.
- Add yeast.
- Gradually add milk combined with water.
- Mix, knead and form into loaves, and let rise.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour.