My long time friend, who is a great cook, shared this recipe with me. She makes this stuffing every Thanksgiving. What wonderful flavors! It reminds me of a kicked up Spanish Rice Dish.
You can stuff your turkey or just eat it as a separate dish. I love it both ways!
Rate This Recipe:
Thanksgiving rice stuffing, made Hawaiian style. My long time friend, who is a great cook, shared this recipe with me. She makes this stuffing every Thanksgiving. What wonderful flavors! It reminds me of a kicked up Spanish Rice Dish. You can stuff your turkey or just eat it as a separate dish. I love it both ways!
- 5 cups white rice
- Giblets from turkey
- 1/4 cup Aloha shoyu
- 1/4 cup water
- 8-9 cloves of garlic
- 1 small round onion
- 1 small Chinese yam (Optional)
- 1 can water chestnuts
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1/2 bunch green onions
- small Portuguese sausage
- 1 can chopped mushrooms
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 bunches Chinese parsley
- 1/2 bunch of American parsley
- olives (optional)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 – 1/4 of water
- 2 tsp. Achote oil (Buy the seeds in supermarket and cookl them in frying oil to extract flavoring. Save the rest of oil for later use).
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook giblets in Aloha shoyu and water.
- Do not throw the Aloha shoyu and water out.
- Remove from fire when cooked.
- Dice giblets and all other ingredients and cook on low fire in the Aloha shoyu and water previously used to cook giblets.
- Add the above sauce.
- Cook everything in a large frying pan on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add 5 cups of cooked wild rice or white rice to sauce mixture and mix until rice is completely covered and continue to cook in large frying pan on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Stuff bird!
How To Serve:
- Take stuffing out of turkey first before carving.
- Place stuffing from bird in a large bowl.
- If you have any leftover stuffing that was not used in the turkey, place in a separate bowl.
- DO NOT MIX both stuffings together.
Stuffing should be made the night before stuffing the bird, it is easier to stuff bird when the stuffing is refrigerated.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!