Rate This Recipe:
Mochi Crunch Shrimp by Relle Lum
Relle Lum is a nurse practitioner in Maui where she was born and raised. In her spare time she loves to cook and bake. She is a self taught, home cook that describes her recipes as easy to follow so that anyone can learn to make and share them. Relle was one of nine home cooks in a compeition show on PBS called The Great American Recipe where she made Hawaiʻi proud with her local cuisine. Today Relle is married with two beautiful children whom she prides hereself in raising as adventurous eaters. Aside from having a sweet tooth Relle was a picky eater as a youngster so she decided to expose her children to many types of food so they could determine for themselves what they liked. Relle shares a recipe that pairs an island snack with scrumptious shrimp on Cooking Hawaiian Style.
- 4 cups Vegetable oil
- 1 cup Mochi crunch
- 1 cup Panko fine
- 1 Tbs Furikake
- 1 cup Mochiko flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Garlic finely minced
- 2 lbs Shrimp peeled & deveined
- 1/4 – 1/2 c Water as needed water
- Heat cooking oil over medium heat, while oil heating add mochi crunch, panko and furikake to the bowl of a food processor and blend until fine crumb mixture. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add mochiko flour, egg and garlic. Mix until well combined.
- Add water to the thin the mixture to about the thickness of pancake batter to create tempura batter.
- Coat shrimp in tempura batter then cover in mochi crunch mixture and place on a tray until ready to fry.
- Once oil is at 350F it is ready, add shrimp to oil and fry until shrimp is opaque and crust is golden brown.
- Remove shrimp and place on paper towel to remove excess oil.
Calories: 2345kcalCarbohydrates: 43gProtein: 53gFat: 222gSaturated Fat: 34gPolyunsaturated Fat: 126gMonounsaturated Fat: 50gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 406mgSodium: 452mgPotassium: 739mgFiber: 3gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 247IUVitamin B1: 1mgVitamin B5: 1mgVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 269mgIron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!