Rate This Recipe:
Tinuno Kanpachi Collar with Black Garlic Soy Glaze by Brandon Ramiscal of Humble Market Kitchen
Brandon James Ramiscal was born and raised in Wailuku Maui, he attended Baldwin High School then went on to graduate from UH Maui College in culinary arts in 2019. Today Brandon works at Humble Market Kitchin in Wailea with one of his idols Chef Matt Dela Cruz. Brandon learned how to cook from his mother and says whatever she cooks is his favorite dish, especially adobo. He also credits his love of culinary arts to his many teachers from Baldwin and UH Maui College. He tells me at the end of a long day at the restaurant when he gets home his comfort food is saimin with vienna sausage.This dish is my approach on being at home with a fire started on a small grill with family over. Throwing some fish collars with a simple sauce that reflects how we usually eat it. Salty, spicy, umami and well balanced.
- 2 Kanpachi Collars
- 3 oz Black Garlic Molasses
- 2 oz Tamari Soy
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 oz Rayu
- 1 Tbs Canola oil to coat collar
- 1/2 Calamansi
- for garnish daikon Shredded
- for garnish Ocean Salad
- for garnish Bubu Arare
- to taste Salt and Pepper
- Season the Kanpachi Collars on both sides with salt and pepper. Also lightly coat with canola oil.
- One at a time, place collars on the grill. Cook each side for 3-4 minutes. When the bottom of the fish starts to show charred color, with a pair of tongs flip each collar being extra careful to not break the collars.
- When the fish is cooked, remove it from the grill and set aside. It may rest on a sheet pan lined with paper towel.
Black Garlic Soy Glaze:
- Using a saute pan on medium heat, add your black garlic molasses, tamari soy, sugar. rayu, and minced garlic.
- Once ingredients are added lower the heat and allow to reduce till liquid has a syrupy consistency. Being careful not to burn it as it has a high sugar content.
- To serve, using a large plate place collars on a bed of shredded daikon. Using a kitchen spoon drizzle the black garlic reduction on and around the collars. Garnish with bubuarare, ocean salad and a calamansi wedge. Enjoy with two scoop rice and an ice cold beer.
Calories: 1385kcalCarbohydrates: 42gProtein: 188gFat: 48gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 18gMonounsaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0.03gCholesterol: 333mgSodium: 2176mgPotassium: 4463mgFiber: 1gSugar: 39gVitamin A: 963IUVitamin B1: 0.5mgVitamin B5: 7mgVitamin C: 20mgCalcium: 392mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!