A simple local-style pasta with Portuguese sausage and a creamy tomato sauce. You can have a nice dinner in 30 minutes!
Rigatoni w/Portuguese Sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion liquified in blender
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 lb. Portuguese sausage, sliced
- 1 28 ounce can plum tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 ounces rigatoni
- fresh grated parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- fresh basil garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and sauté onion and garlic for 2 min.
- Stir in oregano, basil, salt and hot pepper flakes and cook for 1 min.
- Add Portuguese sausage; cook, stirring, for about 5 min or until cooked through.
- Blot excess fat using paper towel. Break tomatoes up with hands and add to pan.
- Stir in tomato paste and cream.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 15 min.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Add pasta; cook according to package directions.
- Drain well; return to pot. Pour in the sauce, stirring until pasta is well coated.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil optional.