Who doesn't crave seafood chowder now and again. You can switch out and substitute any of the seafood items for whatever you might prefer. A hearty, rich and creamy dish.
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1/4 c. cubed salt pork or bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 c. chicken or seafood stock
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, 1-inch cubes
- 2 c. clams, oysters or scallops, shelled
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1/2 – 2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. cream
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- thyme sprigs and paprika
- Fry salt pork or bacon in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, until lightly browned.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add broth and potatoes; cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are done, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in shellfish, thyme, milk and cream.
- Return pork to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the shellfish are plump and heated through, about 1-3 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If desired, may thicken with cornstarch diluted in water.
How To Serve:
- Garnish with thyme sprigs and paprika. Serves 4.
Calories: 745kj | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 69g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 221mg | Sodium: 1039mg | Potassium: 1986mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1295IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 348mg | Iron: 5mg