This delicious shrimp and grits recipe was provided compliments of world famous Chef Chai of Chai’s Island Bistro, Dining Out with Chai & Singha Thai Restaurant.
Rate This Recipe:
Shrimp And Grits
A Hawaiian twist on the classic shrimp and grits.
- 1.5 Cups Grits
- 7 Pieces U15 Shrimp, p & d, tail on
- 1/2 Cup Star Anise – Cardamom Spice Blend
- 1/2 Cup Lemongrass Curry Gravy
- 3 Pieces Plantain, ripe, caramelized
- 1 ounce Escaveche Vegetables
Lemongrass Curry Gravy
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Each white onion, medium dice
- 10 Each garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 Cups Ginger, peeled, sliced
- 4 Each lemongrass stalks, smashed
- 3/4 Cup Elery root (or 6 Celery stalks, blanched)
- 1/2 Cup Chinese parsley, roots and stems only
- 1.5 tsp Coriander seed powder
- 1 Each poblano pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Ancho chile powder
- 3 tbsp Salt, kosher
- 4 Each tomatoes, vine ripened, rough chop
- 1 Cup Coconut milk
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 lb Brown onion, Julienne
- 1/4 lb Yellow bell pepper, Julienne
- 1/4 lb Red bell pepper, Julienne
- 1/4 lb Poblano pepper, Julienne
- 1 C. Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 C. Rice Vinegar
- 1 Each plantain, slice on the bias
- Saute plantain's until brown and caramelized
- Coat shrimp with spice blend. Saute until cooked ¾ way through.
- Cook 1 lb Quaker Quick Grits according to label instructions. Chicken or vegetable stock may be substituted instead of water.
- In a sauté pan, toast ½ cup each of star anise and cardamom. Let cool. Grind to a powder blend using a spice grinder.
Lemongrass Curry Gravy
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on a medium high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger and lemongrass.
- Saute until the mixture begins to brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Blend with a hand blender and strain using a fine sieve.
- Recipe yields approx. 10 cups.
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Mix well until onion’s and peppers are thoroughly coated with the liquid ingredients.
- Transfer to a plastic Ziploc bag. Marinate for 1 day.
How To Serve:
- Ladle grits in a bowl.
- Pour the gravy around the outer part of the bowl.
- Spread shrimp around the bowl standing up and with the tail pointing to the outside of the bowl.
- Put the 3 pieces of plantain between the shrimp, divided evenly.
- Garnish with the escaveche vegetables.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!