This delicious smoked duck salad recipe was provided compliments of world famous Chef Chai of Chai’s Island Bistro, Dining Out with Chai & Singha Thai Restaurant.
Rate This Recipe:
Smoked Duck Salad w/ Tangerine Vinaigrette
A beautiful salad topped with smoke infused duck and a tangerine dressing.
- 1 lb Mixed Green
- 1/2 lb Teardrop Tomatoes
- 16 Slices Poached Pears
- 2 Smoked Duck Breast, Thinly Slices
- 1 C. Candied Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Tangerine Vinaigrette Per Person
- Kosher Salt To Taste
- 1 C. Black Tea
- 1 C. Fresh Tangerine Juice
- 1 C. Orange Juice
- 1/4 C. White Wine
- 1 Clove Garlic, Chopped
- 2 Cloves Shallot, Chopped
- 1/2 C. Blended Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Tubular Chives Cut Small Pieces
- Salt And White Pepper To Taste
- 2 Pieces Firm D'anjou pear
- 1/2 C. White Wine
- 1/2 C. Granulated Sugar
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Whole Peppercorn
- 1/2 tsp Juniper Berry
- 1 Whole Lemon, Slices
- 4 oz Walnut Halves
- 2 tbsp Corn Syrup
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- Pinch Cinnamon
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Rub the Duck breast with Kosher salt until fully coated and let sit over night.
- Wet the black tea and place in a small wok or smoker and place over high heat until the tea starts smoking. Lower the heat to low and place the duck breast on a rack over the smoking tea.
- Cover the entire wok or smoker and cook for about 30 minutes, then remove from smoker and let cool.
- To serve, thinly slice the breast lengthwise and place a four to five pieces on a plate.
- Fan out the duck breast on the top of a plate.
- Toss the mixed greens with the vinaigrette and mount in the center of the plate.
- Garnish the salad with the poached pears, tomatoes and candied walnuts.
- Serve immediately.
- Sweat shallot and garlic with a tablespoon of olive oil for a minute and deglaze with white wine.
- Add tangerine and orange juice, simmer with slow heat until the liquid come down to 1 cup let it cool down.
- Put in a blender and blend until the dressing is smooth (no large piece of garlic or shallot).
- Slowly pour the oil into the blender so that it emulsifies.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, remove from blender and add the chives.
- Hold in the refrigerator until ready to serve. You may add some sugar if need.
- Start by toasting off the walnuts in a 275 degree oven until crispy about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepot, add sugar, corn syrup, cinnamon and pinch of salt and bring to a boil with medium low heat and to cook until the liquid bubble and turn color to a light brown. (Must be really careful a few seconds too long can burn the sugar.
- Remove from heat and toss the toasted walnuts and sprinkle with sesame seed, mix well and lay out the coated walnuts on parchment paper and let cool.
- Cut the pear in 1/8 from top to bottom and remove the seeds. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients except the pear in a pot and bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for 5 minutes turn the heat off and toss in fresh pear.
- Let it cool down in the refrigerator set aside until ready to serve.
- **This is not a normal way to poach the pear, the pear should be under cooked and slightly firm
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!