This delicious stuffed bitter melon soup recipe was provided compliments of world famous Chef Chai of Chai’s Island Bistro, Dining Out with Chai & Singha Thai Restaurant.
Stuffed Bitter Melon Soup
- 2 large bitter melons
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb shrimp, chopped
- 3 pieces dried Shiitake mushroom
- 1 tbsp green onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Aloha Aloha shoyu
- pinch of ground black pepper
- Soak dried shiitake mushroom with a warm water for about half and hour or until it soften.(hot water can speed the mushroom to soften faster). Slice thin and set aside.
- Cut the bitter melon to about 2 inches long and remove the seed in the center with a scooper or spoon and boil in a liter of hot water and one tablespoon of salt for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the melon from the water and soak or rinse in a cold water to cool down the melon. Set aside.
- Combine shrimp, ground pork, shiitake mushroom, green onions, Aloha shoyu and black pepper.
- Stuff the melon with stuffing and drop into a pot of chicken stock. Bring to a boil, remove the scum and simmer for about 20-30 minutes depending on how soft you want your melon.
- Season with pepper and more shoyu if need. Some chicken broth may already contain salt make sure to taste your soup before adding any seasoning.