This delicious stuffed bitter melon soup recipe was provided compliments of world famous Chef Chai of Chai’s Island Bistro, Dining Out with Chai & Singha Thai Restaurant.
Rate This Recipe:
Stuffed Bitter Melon Soup
This delicious stuffed bitter melon soup recipe was provided compliments of world famous Chef Chai of Chai's Island Bistro, Dining Out with Chai & Singha Thai Restaurant.
- 2 large bitter melons
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb shrimp, chopped
- 3 pieces dried Shiitake mushroom
- 1 tbsp green onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Aloha Aloha shoyu
- pinch of ground black pepper
- Soak dried shiitake mushroom with a warm water for about half and hour or until it soften.(hot water can speed the mushroom to soften faster). Slice thin and set aside.
- Cut the bitter melon to about 2 inches long and remove the seed in the center with a scooper or spoon and boil in a liter of hot water and one tablespoon of salt for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the melon from the water and soak or rinse in a cold water to cool down the melon. Set aside.
- Combine shrimp, ground pork, shiitake mushroom, green onions, Aloha shoyu and black pepper.
- Stuff the melon with stuffing and drop into a pot of chicken stock. Bring to a boil, remove the scum and simmer for about 20-30 minutes depending on how soft you want your melon.
- Season with pepper and more shoyu if need. Some chicken broth may already contain salt make sure to taste your soup before adding any seasoning.
Top with green onion before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Order Chef Chai’s Cookbook
- Advertisement -
Do you have the bitter melon recipe Rex did? Would love to recreate that, too, and compare. Mahalo!
Here is the link: