Mr Paoua, Mr Aloha, are some of the names of Hawaii’s biggest Funko toy collector Rex Freitas. I first met Rex 6 years ago as he worked as part of our Cooking Hawaiian Style staff. His energy and Aloha is contagious.
You can’t go anywhere on this island without someone knowing him. His network is large as he has competed in singing contests and has driven the Honolulu city bus for more than 35 years. He gets stopped regularly by young adults with “Hey Uncle Rex how you? Remember me, you use to take me to school every day?”
We are happy to have one of our Cooking Hawaiian Style ohana on the show this season. This week Rex’s shares a family tradition, Stuffed bitter melon with pork hash.
Rate This Recipe:
REX FREITAS STUFFED BITTER MELON WITH PORK HASH
- 3 lb ground pork
- 2 can water chestnuts
- 1 stalk green onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Chinese parsley chopped
- 3 eggs (used to bind)
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 Tbl garlic powder or to taste
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 6 large bitter melon
- 1 tsp dashi powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbl cooking oil
For the Hash:
- Place all of ingredients for the pork hash into a large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly ensuring that it is well incorporated.
For the Bitter Melon:
- Cut the bitter melon in 1 inch pieces, use a spoon to remove the seeds.
- Fill each of the hallowed bitter melon with the pork hash.
- Heat a fry pan, add the oil.
- Working in batches brown the stuffed bitter melon on both sides.
- Return all browned bitter melon to the pan add the dashi and water.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, remove the cover increase the heat to high and reduce the liquid till just about evaporated.
How To Serve:
- Serve Hot.