NYC Fashion week designer Kumu Micah Kamohoalii of Dezigns By Kamohoalii shares his recipe for Chicken Soup for the Soul. Many may know Micah as the renowned kumu hula of Halau Na Kipu’upu’u from Waimea Hawaii, or you may know him as the Director of Waimea Homesteads Association or the descendent of kapa makers and today has used these same family traditions to continue a legacy of Hawaiian artistry.
Few may know his love for cooking and so we are thrilled to share that part of this extraordinary man in this episode of Cooking Hawaiian Style. As in everything else he does, Micah cooks with love.
He created this recipe as a way to use up all the leftover rotisserie chicken. It soon became a family favorite and now comfort food for the soul. It has a chicken tortilla and chicken soup vibe with his own twists on it, just the way he likes it (and we did too)!
Chicken Soup for the Soul by Kumu Micah Kamohoalii
- 3 medium carrots peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 3 Celery stalks chopped into small pieces
- 1 Onions chopped into small pieces
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed & drained
- 2 15 oz can corn drained
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 lime squeezed
- 1 chopped rotisserie chicken left overs
- 3-4 cups Chicken broth
- 1 12 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 pkg Taco seasoning
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic and cook until it is softened.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes until finished.
- Spoon soup into bowls and if desired top with cheese, sour cream, chives and croutons