Sissy Lake-Farm joins us on this Mondays episode of Cooking Hawaiian Style (CookingHawaiianStyle.com) presented by Maui County Farm Bureau. Sissy is the Executive Director at Maui Historical Society / Hale Hō’ikeʻike at the Bailey House. She is the daughter of renowned Historian and Kumu Hula John Keola Lake.
Sissy was born and raised in Maui and feels a deep commitment to ensuring the history and heritage of her home is shared and protected for generations to come. She began dancing hula when she was 5 years old and today, following in her fathers footsteps, she is now a kumu hula herself.
We are excited to have Sissy in the kitchen this week sharing very personal recipes and the stories that surround them.
Rate This Recipe:
Maui Style Fried Saimin by Sissy Lake-Farm
- 2-3 lbs. Yaki Soba noodles
- 1 Can Spam (dice into bit size pieces)
- 1/2 Head Cabbage (chop into strips)
- 1 Pack Chop suey mix ( bean sprouts/ cabbage/ carrots)
- 1/4-1/2 lbs. Char Siu (chopped into bit size pieces)
- 3 Stalks Green onion (diced)
- 1 Pack Kamaboko (pink and white version) (dice)
- 4 Eggs
- To taste Pepper
- 1 Packet Shrimp dashi (ss saimin style)
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup Oyster sauce
- 1/2 Cup Shoyu
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. Sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
- Pour sauce ingredients into a bowl and whisk until emulsified.
- Put yakisoba noodles into a colander. Rinse with warm water. Drain.
- Put Noodles into a bowl. Add sauce to noodles and mix well.
- On medium heat, fry noodles in small batches for 2-3 minutes in a wok.
- Place fried noodles in a serving tray.
- Brown the char siu meat for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
- Brown the spam for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
- Add water to dashi and mix.
- Wash out the wok. Put cleaned cabbage in the wok with 1 cup of dashi mix until cooked. Set aside.
- Put chop suey mix in the wok with remaining 1 cup dashi until cooked. Set aside.
- In a large flat frying pan, add oil and allow pan to heat up.
- Take 4 eggs and scramble in a bowl. Add eggs to heated pan. Fold eggs To form a roll and place on cutting board and cut into slices.
- Arrange the noodles on a serving tray.
- Add a layer of cabbage.
- Add a layer of chop suey mix.
- Add scrambled egg slices, char siu meat, kamaboko, spam, and garnish with green onions.
- Serve and enjoy.