Its not too late to beat the heat with this original Taro Brand recipe for Poi Kulolo Ice Cream! I developed this recipe for Taro Brand as a way to use poi in new and exciting ways.
I also experimented using stabilizers which gives the ice cream a nice silky finish. This recipe is really easy to make and is ono!
Rate This Recipe:
Taro Brand Poi Kulolo Ice Cream
- Electric Mixer
- Ice cream maker
- 1 lb. Taro Brand Fresh or Fresh Frozen Poi (prepared)*
- 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Cremodan ice cream stabilizer (optional)
- 8 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 15 drops purple food coloring (optional)
- Put prepared poi*, coconut milk, heavy whipping cream, egg yolks, sugar, honey, food coloring and corn syrup in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until all ingredients are combined well.
- For a creamier, smoother textured ice cream, use Cremodan ice cream stabilizer.
- To prepare stabilizer, add 1 tablespoon of the stabilizer to a small glass bowl and add 1 cup of the ice cream mixture.
- Mix well with a fork until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Add mixture to the rest of the ice cream mixture and beat with electric mixer for another 2 minutes ensuring that all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Put mixture in refrigerator and allow to cool overnight.
- To make ice cream, pour mixture in to ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions.
- Once a soft-serve consistency is reached, put ice cream back in freezer for at least 2-3 hours before serving.