Hawaiian musician Kuana Torres Kahele joins us on the set of Cooking Hawaiian Style to make his traditional ho’i’o fern shoot salad recipe.
Kuana Torres Ho’i’o Fern Shoot Salad
- 2 bunches of hō'i'o (warabi fern)
- 2 bags soft cuttlefish 1.5 oz. each, chopped
- 5 tomatoes diced
- 2 large yellow onions chopped
- 2 packages Gobo / Fishcake
- 3-4 small red Hawaiian Chili peppers minced
- 1 package Kamaboko
- 1/3 cup Oyster Sauce
- Hawaiian salt to taste
- 1/3 cup Sesame Oil
- Clean and wash hō'i'o thoroughly.
- Make sure all hair is removed from fern.
- Gently bend hō'i'o. If the h?‘i‘o is soft and flexible, it is an edible portion. Hard portions are tough, typically the bottom third, and must be cut off.
- Cut hō'i'o into 1 inch pieces and place into a large bowl or pan for soaking.
- Boil large pan of water and pour over hō'i'o enough to totally cover. Soak 5 minutes.
- Drain in the sink and flush with cool water. Return to bowl/pan for ice water bath to cool fern pieces quickly and completely. This keeps fern crisp and not slimy for the salad.
- After 30 min, drain water thoroughly and leave in bowl.
- Add tomato, cuttlefish, chili pepper and onion to drained hō'i'o.
- Cut Gobo/fish cake in half and then into thin 1” pieces.
- Kamoboko to be cut into thin pieces–Add both to mixture.
- Stir mixture adding sesame oil and oyster sauce and Hawaiian salt to taste.
- Mix well by hand. Put into a large Ziploc bag and allow to marinate, refrigerated for 1-2 hours prior to serving.