A local version of our ever popular Pineapple Up-Side-Down Cake to prepare when mangoes are in season. All the familiar flavors with a touch of cocoa.
UPSIDE-DOWN MANGO CAKE
- 1 1/2 c. ripe mangoes, sliced
- 2 TB fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/3 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. apricot preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl; combine mangoes and lemon juice; set aside.
- You can either do this next step in the oven, or on a stove top.
- In an 8-inch baking pan; melt ¼ cup of butter and sugar; stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Arrange mangoes decoratively in pan.
- In a mixing bowl; combine egg, oil and buttermilk.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour batter over mangoes; bake 35-40 minutes.
- Invert onto serving platter.
- In a saucepan over medium heat; warm preserves.
- Brush over top of cake; allow to sit 10 minutes.
How To Serve:
- Serves 8.