A comforting dish, similar to the Japanese Zosui and Okayu, congee is normally simmered for a long period of time, until the dish has a creamy sticky texture. One of my Chinese students mentioned his family made it more often with the consistency of soup than porridge.
Rate This Recipe:
Vegetable Congee (Rice Porridge)
- 1 C. rice, washed, drained
- 10 C. water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 TB vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb. won bok cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 lb. bok choy, thinly sliced
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 TB sesame seed oil
- 3 TB chopped green onion, green parts only
- In a skillet over medium heat; saute vegetables in oil; season with salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat; combine rice, water and salt.
- Bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Stir in vegetable mixture.
- Simmer 2 hours.
How To Serve:
- For service: drizzle with sesame seed oil.
- Top with additional green onion.
- Serves 6-8.