A very simple and clear soup, that is very comforting. I have seen versions of this soup with just the meat, kombu and broth. I like to serve it as a meal, adding vegetables and thin long rice noodles.
Abarabone No Shiru (Spare Rib Soup)
- 1 1/2 lbs spare ribs, 1 ½-inch pieceswater as needed
- 1 (1 oz.) pkg. nishime kombu, soaked
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked, stems removed, quartered
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. long squash, peeled, ¼-inch slices
- 2 pc. star anise
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth
- 1 c. water
- 1 1/2 – 2 tsp. salt, as needed
- 1-2 TB Aloha shoyu, as needed
- 1/2 lb. mustard cabbage, 1 ½-inch pieces
- 2 oz. long rice, soaked, 4-inch lengths, optional
- Soak kombu until soft enough to work with. Tie into knots, cutting between knots about 3-4 inches in length.
- Set aside.
- In a large saucepot over medium high heat; cover spareribs with water.
- Bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse spare ribs well.
- Return to pot.
- Add ginger, garlic, star anise, chicken broth and water.
- Bring to a rapid boil; remove any skum from top of pot.
- Reduce heat; simmer 1 hour.
- Add kombu, mushrooms, squash, salt and soy sauce.
- Continue simmering 20 minutes; taste for seasoning adding additional salt and soy sauce.
- Add mustard cabbage and long rice; heat through.
How To Serve:
- For service: remove star anise. Serve immediately.
- Serves 4-6.