Bittermelon is not something we used in home cooked dishes, you would only find it in your favorite Chinese restaurant, but lately a lot of the local farms have been making it readily available in the markets. This dish works well with pork or chicken.
Beef With Bittermelon
- 1/2 lb. flank steak, thinly sliced
- 5 TB oil, divided
- 1 lb. bittermelon, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 TB oyster sauce
- 2 TB Aloha shoyu
- 1 TB whiskey
- 2 slices ginger, slivered
- 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- dash of MSG, optional
Black Bean Mixture:
- 2 TB black beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 slice ginger, minced
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 1/4 c. water
- dash of MSG
- In a mixing bowl, combine beef with marinade ingredients; let sit for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, soak black beans for 2 minutes, mashing to a paste.
- In a large wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
- On high heat, stir-fry beef until medium rare.
- Remove and set aside.
- Reheat pan with 3 tablespoons of oil; stir in black bean mixture.
- Add bitter melons and cook till crisp-tender.
- Return beef to wok and heat through.
- Thicken with cornstarch mixture.
How To Serve:
- Garnish with green onion.
- Serves 4.