Chef Pang grew up in Hawaiʻi enjoying the freshest island ingredients in his father and grandmother’s Chinese kitchen. With a culinary career spanning over four decades taking him throughout Asia, South America and across the United States as a chef with Westin Hotels, Chef Pang returned home to Hawaiʻi in 1996 to lead the culinary programs at Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea, Maui.
Pang oversees the luxury resort’s five dining venues and one market, banquet and catering as well as, developed the concept for the resort’s signature restaurant – Kō. Chef Pang was a perfect addition to our Cooking Hawaiian Style family because of his commitment to buying local produce and supporting Maui agriculture.
Rate This Recipe:
Maui Cattle Co Beef Tenderloin Steaks by Chef Tylun Pang
- 4 4 oz. MAUI CATTLE CO BEEF TENDERLOIN STEAKS
FOR THE STEAK RUB:
- 1/2 Tbsp MINCED GARLIC
- 1/2 Tbsp CHOPPED PARSLEY
- 1/4 tsp DRIED CHILI FLAKES
- 2 Tbsp MOLOKAI SEA SALT
- 2 Tbsp TURBINADO SUGAR
FOR THE POKE MIX:
- 1/2 Cup KULA ONION (1/4 INCH DICE)
- 1/2 Cup VINE RIPE TOMATO (1/4 INCH DICE)
- 1/2 Cup JAPANESE CUCUMBER (1/4 INCH DICE)
FOR THE SEASONING:
- 2 Tbsp. SOY SAUCE
- 1 Tbsp. SESAME OIL
- 2 tsp SAMBAL
- 1/2 tsp. TOASTED SESAME SEEDS
- THINLY SLICED GREEN AND PEPPER THREADS
- COMBINE ALL THE INGREDIENTS FOR THE STEAK RUB AND MIX TOGETHER.
- CUT THE ONION, TOMATO AND CUCUMBER FOR THE POKE MIX
- MESSAGE THE RUB INTO BOTH SIDES OF THE STEAKS.
- HEAT UP YOUR GRILL OR PAN (LIGHTLY OIL IF USING A PAN) AND SEAR THE STEAKS. COOKING STEAKS RARE TO MEDIUM-RARE IS BEST FOR THIS RECIPE. LET THE STEAKS REST ABOUT TO MINUTES THEN CUT INTO 1 INCH CUBES.
- PLACE THE SEARED BEEF CUBES IN A MIXING BOWL, ADD THE CUT VEGETABLES AND THE SEASONINGS, TOSS GENTLY AND TRANSFER TO YOUR SERVING DISH AND GARNISH WITH THINLY SLICED GREEN ONIONS AND PEPPER THREADS.
- WE HAVE TRIED THIS RECIPE WITH A VARIETY OF CUTS SO USE YOUR FAVORITE IT’S A FUN WAY TO ENJOY STEAK AS A PUPU WITH COCKTAILS!
- FOR A VARIATION OF FLAVOR TRY SUBSTITUTING SOY SAUCE WITH PATIS (FISH SAUCE) OR OYSTER SAUCE WITH A TOUCH OF MINCED GINGER….
- HAVE FUN!