Lois Hiranaga is a native of Maui, she has always been passionate about flowers and supporting her community. She earned a degree in marketing and management from the University of Hawaii at Mānoa, and has an extensive background in horticulture and is co-author of Neotropica Hawaii Tropical Flower and Plant Guide.
Lois is a member of the Maui County Farm Bureau and has caught the bug for cooking as well. She has been taking culinary classes so we thought it was time to bring her into the kitchen and see what she can do.
Mango Squares by Lois Hiranaga
Ingredients for Crust
- 4 cups Flour
- 1 1/8 cup Sugar
- 3 sticks Butter
Ingredients for Filing
- 4 large Ripe mango cut in slices
- 1/2 cup Minute tapioca
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 juice lemon
- 1 sprinkle cinnamon
Method for Crust:
- Cut in butter and flour with pastry cutter. Or in food Processor.
- Prepare dough by first blending flour and sugar.
- Add chopped frozen butter in increments. Pulse until “sandy” texture.
- Divide dough in half for crumble top crust and half for bottom crust. Pat bottom crust down lightly in 9”x13” pan.
- Mix filling ingredients together and evenly distribute on bottom crust.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon as desired.
- Sprinkle remaining dough on top for crumble top crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown – approximately 1 hour.