This delicious recipe was provided compliments of world famous Chef Chai of Chai’s Island Bistro, Dining Out with Chai & Singha Thai Restaurant.
Rate This Recipe:
English trifle dessert compliments of chef chai.
- 1 large loaf pound cake (may Substitute with Sponge Cake or Lady Fingers)
- 1/4 cup grand marnier
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 c. vanilla custard (See Recipe Below)
- 3 c. fresh raspberry
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. brandy
- 2 c. whip cream
- 1 c. candy walnut
- fresh mint leaves
- 2 c. half and half
- 1/2 Hawaiian Vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 6 egg yolks
- 2/3 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Cut the pound cake in to 10 pieces or about half inch thick, set aside.
- Combine Grand Marnier, sugar and water, bring to a boil, set aside to let it cool down.
- Combine fresh raspberry, sugar and Brandy, toss until sugar mix in well with raspberry let it sit for 10-15 minutes or until all sugar are melted. Set aside.
- Soak the cake with Grand Marnier Syrup.
- In a trifle bowl or individual glass stemware, layer the ingredients in the following order: cake, Vanilla Pastry Cream, Whipped Cream, nuts and Raspberry, repeating until the container is full, ending with whipped cream as the top layer.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap. (Can be made a day in advance up to this point and is actually better if allowed to sit over night.)
- Bring the milk and vanilla bean to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and set aside to infuse for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cornstarch and whisk vigorously until no lumps remain.
- Whisk a quarter of the hot milk mixture into the yolks until incorporated. Whisk in the remaining hot milk mixture. Pour the mixture through a strainer back into the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and slowly boiling.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Let cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap, lightly pressing the plastic against the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Let it cool down in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
How To Serve:
- Decorate with more fruit and finely chopped nuts, or rosettes of whipped cream Berry and mint leaves.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!