This nourishing tortilla or wrap substitute is high in protein and low in carbohydrates. One of these wraps makes a mean quesadilla!
Recipe courtesy of Lauren Benning of healthyindulgences.net
Healthier Gluten-Free Wraps Recipe
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed meal (Could sub more flax meal here)
- 2 tablespoons pecan or almond meal
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour*
- 1/2 tablespoon protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk OR heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon honey OR blackstrap molasses
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- Herbs and spices, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix together dry ingredients.
- Whisk together wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Beat wet ingredients into dry ingredients vigorously with a mixer or whisk.
- Divide batter into two sticky masses. Drop in balls on to a greased cookie sheet or silicone baking mat.
- Press a piece of plastic wrap over dough balls. Flatten rounds with hand, and use a rolling pin over the plastic wrap until dough is 1/8 inch thickness. Peel off plastic wrap and smooth over any bubbles with fingertips.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Let wraps rest on silicone mat until lukewarm to the touch, then carefully run a sharp spatula around the bottom to unstick. Let cool completely and store between sheets of paper towel in a plastic baggie on the countertop.
- If you over bake the wraps, there will be dry crispy spots on them. If you under bake them, they will be doughy on the inside. The key is the make sure the dough is spread evenly, with the thickness uniform throughout.