Kimo Falconer is a fifth generation Lahaina resident and descendant of George Freeland, who built the famed Pioneer Hotel, and Amabel Kahuhu. Kimo was raised working on a California ranch during the school year and fishing with his grandfather in Hawaii during the summer.
He moved to Hawaii in 1979 after graduating from Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo with a degree in agriculture. For 20 years, Kimo managed agricultural research and production for Pioneer Mill Company on Maui.
Today, he is keeping Maui’s agricultural legacy alive under the MauiGrown Coffee brand. MauiGrown Coffee is the largest individually operated coffee grower in the U.S. and the original and only major producer of 100% MAUI Origin Coffee in the world.
We were excited to welcome Kimo into our Cooking Hawaiian Style kitchen where he shared stories of his Lahaina family and many of his delicious recipes.
Rate This Recipe:
Ono Ceviche by Kimo Falconer of MauiGrown Coffee
- 2 lbs. Ono filets , cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup Lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. Kosher salt , dash of white pepper
- 1/2 cup Round white onion , chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , minced
- 1 large Tomato chopped
- 1 medium Serrano or jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 cup Cilantro (Chinese parsley) minced
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- Put lemon juice, onion, garlic, tomato into a non-metal bowl.
- Add peppers, cilantro, salt and oil.
- Toss in fish and mix well.
- Refrigerate minimum 6 hours, turn once when ready to serve, add more lemon juice and salt if needed.