This candy reminds me of the days of eating big hunk candy that we used to buy at the store..this is a stepped up version of nougat candy made with macadamia nuts and pistachio.
Macadamia Pistachio Nougat
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cups Hawaiian honey
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with plastic wrap. Let the plastic wrap hang over on each side. In a saucepan, heat honey, sugar, and water until it reaches 290 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Beat egg whites with salt until frothy. Gradually add a tablespoon of sugar taken from the original quantity to help the egg whites stiffen.
- With the mixer on medium, slowly pour in the syrup once it has reached the correct temperature. Add vanilla extract and continue beating on high for about a minute.
- Transfer the mixture into a double broiler and continue cooking the mixture on low heat while stirring with a wooden spoon to reduce more moisture. Once the mixture comes off the bottom of the bowl, it is "dry" enough and the ideal temperature has been reached. Remove from heat. Stir in pistachios and macadamia nuts.
- Transfer the mixture into the plastic wrap lined pan and spread into an even layer. Fold the extra plastic wrap over the top of the mixture. You can place another baking pan over the nougat and fill with something heavy i.e. water bottles to keep the nougat flat. Cut into pieces with an oiled knife