The Portuguese soup caldo verde is ideal cool weather comfort food. It is full of good-for-you greens and potatoes, while sausage keeps things porky and satisfying.
Portuguese Kale And Potato Soup
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound chourico or linguica (smoked Portuguese sausage) or kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound kale, stems and center ribs discarded and leaves very thinly sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then brown sausage, stirring often, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoon oil to fat in pot and cook onion and garlic with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper over medium heat, stirring often, until browned, 7 – 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes, water, and 1 teaspoon salt and simmer, covered, until potatoes are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mash some potatoes into soup to thicken, then add kale and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sausage and cook until just heated through, 1 -2 minutes.
- Drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper.