Simple, hearty soup made with lentils, ham or ham shanks and lentils – the perfect Sunday dinner meal served with rice or bread.
Slow Cooker Portuguese Sausage Lentil Soup
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked ham or 3-4 ham shankd
- 1 Portuguese sausage, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 8 teaspoons tomato sauce
- In a 3 1/2 quart or larger slow cooker combine the lentils, celery, carrots, onion, garlic Portuguese sausage and ham or ham shanks.
- Season with basil, thyme, oregano, the bay leaf and pepper.
- Stir in the chicken broth, water and tomato sauce.
- Cover and cook on Low for 11 hours.
- Discard the bay leaf before serving.